Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Pet!

So Brock was standing up on our couch facing the back windows out the hearth room the other day and was saying "bug, bug, bug!" So I went over there and look what I found! A bald-faced hornets nest right there.......It is actually pretty neat to look from inside our house and see these insects at work, they never sleep and their nest has doubled size in 2 days. All the more reason to knock it down. I called an exterminator and starting at $150 we could have them removed. Tim said it was worth a few stings than to pay the money. So anyways, I will keep everyone updated on the situation - as for now, the boys and I enjoy watching them daily to see what they are doing, we just haven't been out the back to play lately!

Outside shot, there is one tiny hole at the base of the nest where they leave and enter, so I don't know how we are going to spray them....they are on the 2nd story window, off our atrium walk-out - any ideas?????

I tried for an inside shot, at night, they HATE the light, it makes them mad. They start flying around and beating the window. You can see the larvae in the top middle, white sacs, it actually moves like it is pulsating, very gross, and there is a queen hornet - HUGE - that is always around the little eggs, protecting them I guess.
The daytime view, I wish I could get better pics, to give this more interest, because it is really cool to look at!



0 comments: